The Old Car Files: Element Epilogue

 


Alas, in answer to the question in my previous post, this was goodbye for the Element.  Honda had me take my vehicle to a certified dealer for an inspection.  I want to thank Herb Chambers Honda in Westborough, MA for doing the inspection and the service manager for spending time talking with me about recalls and the defects in CRVs all without charge!  That was the most pleasant experience I've ever had at a car dealership, so they get some free advertising in my blog.  

After reviewing the info the dealer provided, Honda closed the case with no explanation.  When I called to find out more about why they see fit to have a recall in Canada for this but not one in the US, they would not give me any more info, just kept repeating that my case was closed and couldn't be reopened.  Shame on Honda.  This tarnishes their reputation in my mind.  The Element was the third Honda I've bought.  I won't say it is the last Honda I will buy, but I'm much less likely to pay a premium for one now.  I'm not bitter, though. I got 17 good years out of the car.  Add the 3 years from the previous owner, and it lasted 20 years in New England as a daily driver which, I have to believe, is way above average.  I am just disappointed that the design prevented easy replacement or repair of the problem to keep it on the road, especially since the engine is still in great condition and only has 103K miles on it.

As for the NHTSA, it turns out they are a pretty toothless organization.  
AI Generated tootless watchdog horrible, scary picture
(Note about the picture:  I decided to try AI to generate an image for the first time.  I wanted a toothless watchdog.  I tried a bunch of different free generators and none came up with anything that looked like a toothless watchdog.  A number of them looked like dragons, not dogs, and most of them still had teeth.  This last one, however, was so hideous and hilarious that I had to include it even though it is far scarier than the NHTSA) 

The NHTSA has no power to compel manufacturers to recall a vehicle for safety issues.  That is left up to the manufacturers themselves.  The person I spoke with did note that there were other reports of Element's suffering from this problem when I asked them to look it up, but they did not have an active investigation into it and didn't seem to think that just because there was a recall in Canada on these vehicles there should be one in the US as well. 

That's two dead-ends.  Time to call it quits.  One of those online places that offers cash for cars was willing to take it off my hands for $600.  Too low!  I could probably sell the catalytic converter alone for that price.  I listed it privately for parts or frame rebuild and was swamped with people wanting it and making offers.  I negotiated $1700 for it with the first person to come see it.  I probably could've gotten more for it based on the interest, but I was ready to be done with it and he had cash-in-hand.  That was more than I thought I was going to get for it as of a couple days ago, so I'm satisfied.  

It is now sitting in my driveway waiting for the new owner to come tow it away for some frame surgery and hopefully give it a new life.  Farewell, you old, unique, practical and quirky car.  We had a good run. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does a post-growth society look like?

Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaning Robot Drive Motor Repair

Car Shopping in 2023: The Exciting Conclusion!